At Caminar, we strive to increase awareness of mental health all year round. We believe education goes a long way toward overcoming stigma around mental illness and creating communities that support recovery.
May provides a special opportunity to celebrate recovery and provide information about mental health as Mental Health Awareness Month is observed nationwide.
Above we share a sampling of some of our Mental Health Awareness Month activities this year. From top, left to right:
- At the Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Board Community Heroes Event, Coralia Valdez, MFT, clinical supervisor in our FCS division, was recognized with a Heroes Award in appreciation for her longstanding commitment to the mental health of children and adults who are Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing.
- Our Solano Region, represented by Executive Director Chris Kughn and Wellness and Recovery Center Coordinator Kenneth Langill, took part in the Vallejo Police Citizen's Workshop on mental health, which was offered for all interested community members.
- The 3rd Annual Mental Health Symposium convened close to 200 guests for an educational evening at Filoli. Caminar CEO Chip Huggins and event moderator Steve Adelsheim, M.D., are pictured.
- At the Solano Region's Cammies Awards, program participants were recognized for their progress in recovery. In addition, we had the pleasure of presenting photographer Gary Cullen with an award in recognition of his volunteer service. Gary, middle, is pictured with Kenneth Langill of Caminar and Solano County Supervisor Erin Hannigan.
- The Expressive Arts Program, made possible thanks to the generous investment of Aroha Philanthropies, held a pop-up art show at Philz Coffee in San Mateo.
- At FCS's Circle of Support Luncheon, journalist and author Sam Quinones, author of the bestselling book Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Addiction, shared insights on the roots of the opioid epidemic and effective community responses.
- The Solano Region displayed participants' artwork at Vallejo City Hall and in county libraries throughout the Month of May.
Special thanks to Michael Collopy for the photos from the Circle of Support Luncheon, Mental Health Symposium and Cammies, and to Gary Cullen for the photograph from the Vallejo mental health information night event.